Monday, August 8, 2016

I Tried The 7-Day Sheet Mask Challenge And Was Not Totally Impressed

I just wanted flawless skin (without all the work).
















I'm Grace, and I *really* wish I had flawless skin. But like most people, I'm not as kind to my skin as I should be: I eat junk food, rarely sleep eight hours, and am lucky if I end up drinking four cups of water per day.



I'm Grace, and I *really* wish I had flawless skin. But like most people, I'm not as kind to my skin as I should be: I eat junk food, rarely sleep eight hours, and am lucky if I end up drinking four cups of water per day.



With Korean skincare products becoming more and more accessible in the US, I too have been swept up in the craze and am trying to be more mindful of taking better care of my skin. Thus began my quest to discover if a 7-day sheet mask challenge could solve my skin troubles.



For some background, I'm Korean but lacking in the youthful/dewy/radiant skin department that most South Koreans are known for. I have acne-prone, combination skin with an oily T-zone and dry cheeks.




Grace Lee




















In an attempt to achieve that coveted K-style glow without committing to the rather daunting 10-step Korean skincare routine, I decided to try the 7-day sheet mask challenge.






I wanted some consistency, so I decided on seven of TonyMoly's I'm Real sheet masks. You can purchase them at Urban Outfitters, which is where I picked up mine on sale (4/$10). Of course, there are cheaper alternatives, like buying them in bulk on Amazon (11/$10), but I'm impatient and all about that immediate gratification.



I did a bit of research and found out that it's not entirely uncommon to use one sheet mask per day. But for those of us who struggle to wash off one's makeup at the end of the day, it pretty much counts as a challenge. So, for those lazy ladies and gents, I dedicate my journey to you.




Via instagram.com
























IDK how, but I managed to lick a corner of this thing while putting it on, and it tasted like it smelled: just like alcohol. Also it's worth noting that the mask is very delicate, and in your excitement to try it, you might end up ripping it, just like I did. So be careful! Aside from that, the other thing I noticed after a few minutes of having it on was that it was really warm. It started off cool in the packet, but once on my face, it began to feel warm and noticeably tingly.



After about 30 minutes, I removed the mask and patted down my face to help it absorb the leftover serum. Even after patting it into my skin, there was definitely some stickiness that didn't go away. However, I did notice that my pores were visibly smaller, and my face felt a little tighter. I had high expectations after being told by the cashier that this was his favorite, and I wasn't let down. I would give it a 5/5 for overall effectiveness, but I'm deducting one point because the warm and tingly feeling threw me off.



Overall Rating: 4/5




Grace Lee
























Not gonna lie, I was a little disappointed that it didn't smell like freshly squeezed lemons or lemonade. It smelled more like a lemon-scented Lysol wipe. I also imagined that the brightening mask would be just as effective as the pore one - like I'd emerge as a shining beacon of light. Unfortunately that wasn't the case, and I ended up looking instead like a more moisturized version of myself. There was slight tingling, and with the rather unimpressive results, I don't think I'd purchase this mask again.



Overall Rating: 2/5




Grace Lee







View Entire List ›

No comments:

Post a Comment